VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop V6.0
This hands-on training workshop provides you with the advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities to achieve competence in troubleshooting the VMware vSphere environment. This workshop also increases your skill and competence in using the command line interface to analyze problems. The workshop is based on VMware ESXi 6 and VMware vCenter Server 6. You will spend approximately 75 percent of class in hands-on labs.
- » System administrators
- » System integrators
Back to Top
- » VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV)
- » VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V6]
- » VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6]
- » Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server
Back to Top
- » Use vSphere Web Client, the command-line interface, and logs to diagnose and resolve problems in the vSphere environment
- » Principals and procedures related to troubleshooting
- » Troubleshoot networking issues and recover from them
- » Storage failure scenarios and resolve the issues
- » Troubleshoot vSphere cluster failure scenarios and analyze possible causes
- » Diagnose common VMware vSphere High Availability issues and provide solutions
- » Troubleshoot problems related to virtual machine migration (VMware vSphere vMotion) and improve resource use
- » (VMware vSphere Distributed Resource Scheduler)
- » Troubleshoot vCenter Server issues
- » Identify ESXi host issues (analyze failure scenarios and correct them)
- » Troubleshoot faulty virtual machines, including installation issues, snapshot issues, and connection issues
Back to Top
- Course Introduction
- Course objectives
- Scope and topics covered by the course
- Online technical resources
- VMware education system and certification tracks
- Introduction to Troubleshooting
- Identify the effects of a system problem
- Troubleshooting scope
- Use a structured approach
- Troubleshooting principals
- Follow a logical troubleshooting procedure
- Troubleshooting examples
- Troubleshooting Tools
- Use command-line tools to identify and troubleshoot problems
- Use VMware vSphere Management Assistant
- Locate and interpret important log files
- Export relevant log files for technical support
- Use vRealize Log Insight for log aggregation and problem analysis
- Use vRealize Log Insight for efficient log search
- Symptoms of network-related problems
- Resolve standard and distributed switch issues
- Virtual machine connectivity issues
- Common management network connectivity issues and restore configurations
- Prevent potential problems
- Troubleshoot storage (iSCSI, NFS, VMFS, and VSAN) connectivity problems
- Hardware malfunction and software misconfiguration scenarios
- Identify multipathing-related issues, including PDL and APD
- Analyze possible causes, recover from the faulty conditions, and restore storage visibility
- vSphere Clusters
- Identify and recover from vSphere HA related issues
- Troubleshoot various types of vSphere vMotion issues related to virtual machine migrations
- Recover from vSphere DRS problems to achieve proper function and balanced resource use
- vSphere cluster failure scenarios and possible solutions
- vCenter Server and ESXi
- vCenter Server and Platform Services Controller (PSC) architecture in vSphere 6
- Identify and resolve authentication issues
- Troubleshoot VMware Certificate Authority (VMCA) and certificate store issues
- Fix vCenter Server services issues
- ESXi host and vCenter Server failure scenarios and resolve the issues
- Virtual Machines
- Common virtual machine snapshot issues
- Possible causes and resolve virtual machine power-on issues
- Troubleshoot virtual machine connection state issues
- Resolve problems seen during VMware Tools installations
- Content library and identify common misconfigurations
- Failure scenarios and provide solutions
- You will spend approximately 75% of class in hands-on labs.
Back to Top
We ensure your success by asking all
students to take a FREE Skill Assessment test.
These short, instructor-written tests are an objective measure of your current skills that help us determine whether or not you will be able to meet your goals by attending this course at your current skill level. If we determine that you need additional preparation or training in order to gain the most value from this course, we will recommend cost-effective solutions that you can use to get ready for the course.
Our required skill-assessments ensure that:
- All students in the class are at a comparable skill level, so the class can run smoothly without beginners slowing down the class for everyone else.
- NetCom students enjoy one of the industry's highest success rates, and pass rates when a certification exam is involved.
- We stay committed to providing you real value. Again, your success is paramount; we will register you only if you have the skills to succeed.
This assessment is for your benefit and best taken without any preparation or reference materials, so your skills can be objectively measured.
Take your FREE Skill Assessment test »
Back to Top
John has been an information technology professional for nearly 20 years, utilizing Windows and Linux/UNIX operating environments. For the last seven years, John has focused on Virtualization utilizing a number of platforms, specializing in VMware Virtualization with ESX Server, vCenter and VMware Consolidated Backup.
He has traveled all over the North America working with numerous Fortune 500 companies and government agencies on implementations of VMware Infrastructure/vSphere. With more than 135 successful installations, John has gained experience with a wide variety of environments including all the major hardware vendors and storage providers.
In his work with clients like Siemens, Boeing, Aramark, the State of Connecticut and the City of New York, John has been instrumental in the creation of documentation, training materials, chargeback procedures for the virtual environment, and proof-of-concept analysis. Materials and documentation which John has created are currently being utilized by, literally, hundreds of clients all over the world!
In addition to working with clients on their VMware environments directly, John has also assisted numerous clients pre-virtualization in determining the appropriate path, potential ROI and cost benefit analysis of a VMware virtual environment as compared with physical servers. John understands not only the technical aspects of virtualization but the improved management and Service Agility intrinsic to any virtual environment. His ability to explain that environment in technical and non-technical terms as well has led to successful VMware Infrastructure implementations all over the United States.
John Presently holds the following VMware Certifications:
VCP3, VCP4 #45078
Back to Top